Can Retriever Dogs Eat Mushrooms?

Can Retriever Dogs Eat Mushrooms

Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms?

Can dogs eat mushrooms? And if yes, which mushrooms are safe and which are toxic? Read on to learn everything about mushrooms and dogs.

Yes, dogs can eat certain kinds of mushrooms however, always be very careful with which mushrooms they eat. The ones you can buy in the grocery store are safe for dogs to eat.

It’s the wild mushrooms which grow in the forest, the park, or even in your own yard that you have to watch out for and be very careful with.

Can Dogs Eat Wild Mushrooms?

As you know, wild Mushrooms can grow everywhere. In the forest, the park, between grass or even in your own back yard. Some of them are edible but most of them are toxic. Your dog (accidentally) may eat a mushroom. When you see your dog eating something outside give the command to let go of whatever it is in his or her mouth. Teach your dog that command when he or she is a young puppy. 

We taught our Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever Stippy the command “Let Go” when he was young. Luckily, Stippy doesn’t eat icky things outside but some dogs do so teaching the command to let go can be very helpful especially when they eat something that is bad for them like a wild, maybe toxic mushroom. 

If your dog doesn’t let go, which of course tends to happen in most cases especially when they like the taste or smell of what they’re eating, and continues eating it walk towards your dog slowly, kneel next to your dog and try to get it out of his/her mouth before your dog swallows it or eats more of it. 

If your dog has eaten a wild mushroom contact your vet or animal poison control center immediately. Try to remain calm and take a picture of the mushroom that your dog has swallowed or bring the mushroom along with you to the vet so they can maybe determine if it’s poisonous.

Can Retriever Dogs Eat Mushrooms Poisoning Mushrooms

Which Wild Mushrooms Are Toxic to Dogs?

Only a small percentage of mushrooms that grow in the wild are toxic however, the mushrooms that are toxic tend to be very toxic unfortunately and are very dangerous to your and your dog’s health. Also, in many cases, the toxic ones look very similar to the non-toxic mushrooms so when your dog has eaten a wild mushroom, vets always recommend treating all wild mushrooms as potentially toxic and as an emergency. 

Many dogs tend to eat icky, odd, and smelly things when they’re outside exploring and sniffing. When something smells “good” or interesting to dogs, they tend to taste or eat it as well such as a mushroom. Some types of mushrooms have an odor that smells appealing to dogs like a fish-like smell. And fishy smells are irresistible for a dog most of the time! This explains why dogs sometimes eat a toxic wild mushroom. An example of such a toxic mushroom that smells like fish is the Amanita Phalloides, also known as Death Cap (see image below). 

Poisonous Mushrooms that cause problems when dogs eat them some example pictures:

Amanita Phalloides poisonous for dogs
  • Amanita Phalloides, known as “Death Cap Mushrooms”
Galerina Marginata poisonous for dogs
  • Galerina Marginata, known as “Deadly Galerina” or “Galerina Autumnalis”
Amanita Gemmata poisonous for dogs
  • Amanita Gemmata, or “Jeweled Death Cap”
manita Muscaria poisonous for Dogs
  • Amanita Muscaria, called “Fly Agaric” or “Deadly Agaric”
Amanita ocreata poisonous for dogs
  • Amanita ocreata
Clitocybe dealbata mushrooms poisonous for dogs
  • Inocybe spp. and Clitocybe dealbata mushrooms

Check out more on Wikipedia for poisonous fungus species here

What Are The Symptoms of Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs?

Each toxic mushroom has its own toxins so symptoms of poisoning in dogs can vary depending on which kind of mushroom the dog has eaten. Sometimes, we as owners have no idea if your dog has eaten and swallowed a mushroom. Here is a list of the most common symptoms of mushroom poisoning so you’ll know what to look out for when you suspect your furbaby has eaten a toxic mushroom:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Salivation (excessive drooling)
  • Weakness
  • Lethargy
  • Ataxia (unbalanced gait)
  • Coma
  • Seizures
  • Liver failure
  • Jaundice (yellow discoloration in the skin, gums, and eyes)
  • Abdominal pain
  • Death

When your dog has a couple of the above-mentioned symptoms or a combination of some of these symptoms, especially when your dog was healthy and doing fine earlier in the day, immediately contact your vet or animal poison control center. If you have seen your dog eating a wild mushroom, don’t wait for your dog to get sick and immediately go to your local vet or contact the Animal poison center and ask them what to do.

How To Treat Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs?

The treatment at the vet depends on which kind of mushroom your dog has eaten, the symptoms, and how recently the mushroom was eaten.

Bring the mushroom your dog has eaten to the vet. Wrap it in a paper towel and store it in a paper bag so the vet can hopefully quickly determine what kind of mushroom your dog has eaten and how to treat that specific poisoning. 

In many cases, the vet will stimulate vomiting by giving your dog medication which will make your dog throw up quickly. This is not a pretty sight of course but it will help your dog to get rid of the toxic mushroom if it’s eaten recently and still in your dog’s stomach. In other cases, the vet can give your dog drugs which will counteract the toxin. The vet will keep your dog as comfortable as possible and will manage your dog’s symptoms during the treatment.

Mushroom poisoning can be very dangerous to your dog with sometimes can result in death so if your dog tends to eat things when going outside or for a walk be careful, aware, and watchful if you encounter wild mushrooms.

What Kind Of Mushrooms Are Safe For Dogs?

Mushrooms that you buy in a grocery store are generally safe for your dog to eat. If you want to feed your dog mushrooms, make sure you serve them plain and without sauce, oil, butter or seasonings because these are bad for your pooch and can make your dog sick. Dogs don’t really need mushrooms in their diet but if you want to feed them to your dog make sure the mushrooms are safe from the grocery store and serve them plain.

Can Retriever Dogs Eat Mushrooms Safe Mushrooms

Conclusion

So, can dogs eat mushrooms? If you get them from the grocery store than yes, your dog can eat mushrooms. Make sure your dog has a well-balanced diet, we use Ollie, as they have  Vet-formulated, freshly cooked recipes based on Beef, Chicken, Turkey, and Lamb. Only serve the mushrooms occasionally as a treat if your dog likes them and if your dog is not allergic to them. When it comes to wild mushrooms, never have your dog eat wild mushrooms as they can be poisonous and make your dog really sick. If your dog has eaten a wild mushroom, don’t hesitate and call your vet immediately

Vet-formulated, freshly cooked recipes

Ollie Logo

Nova Scotia Ducvk Tolling Retriever RetrieverPlanet.com

About us 

Hi, welcome to my blog about the amazing breed Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever!

My name is Eline van Stiphout and I live in The Netherlands. Together with my husband Arthur and our sweet Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever Stippy, the three of us love to travel and go on outdoor adventures. 

Currently, I’m a professional, fully licensed dog walker since 2017. I gave up my stressful fulltime office job to follow my dream which is working and walking with dogs.

READ MORE

Our top 10 Recommended Grooming Items

Check it out 

Eusoh Cool

Latest posts

Recommended 

Protect your car seats

4Knines Dog Seat Cover with Hammock for Cars, Trucks, and SUVs – Heavy Duty, Non-Slip, Waterproof

 4 Door Steel Crate with Plush Bed + Travel Bag 

Shopping for a Pet Lover or pet Professional, but not sure what to give them?

Recommended 

EMBROIDER A PET BED 

How does Pet Insurance work?